Monday, June 12, 2006

Collected Works

Well my short story didn't win the Benny competition (and reading it in the cold light of the day after I hurriedly wrote it and sent it off, I can see why - what a crock), but I'm delighted to see who did win and am looking forward to his story immensely.

I'd be looking forward to the book in question in any case - it's like a Doctor Who Greatest Hits, with (almost) absolutely all of my favourite Who authors in it. Simply swap Kate Orman (whose books I've never managed to connect with) for Paul Magrs or Ian Potter and it'd be perfect. Of particular interest will be Nick Wallace's collaboration with Phil Purser-Hallard.

The complete line-up is

  • Nick Wallace
  • Lance Parkin
  • Kate Orman
  • Simon Bucher-Jones
  • Mags L Halliday
  • Jonathan Blum
  • Mark Michalowski
  • Dale Smith
  • Simon A Forward
  • Eddie Robson
  • Ian Mond
  • Philip Purser-Hallard
  • and the competition winner*

    Go, pre-order it today.

    * who hasn't been officially announced yet so far as I can see, so I'd better revel in being in the loop in an OG sort of way and otherwise leave his identity a mystery :-)
  • Labels:

    Bookmark and Share

    8 Comments:

    Blogger Philip said...

    The competition winner is announced here, buried near the bottom of the page.

    And that's not quite the full lineup -- it's missing five (I think) authors, one of whom you know about. But I'd probably better not say who they are until the actual list's gone up.

    12:50 pm  
    Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

    See - now I feel an arse (having taken seriously certain people when they said other certain people had won the competition).

    Even so, I'm still enormously looking forward to Nick W and your collaboration - Fear Itself meets Peculiar Lives is surely a mouth-watering thought....

    2:15 pm  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Agreed!

    What did you think of the Satan Pit, Stu?

    6:34 pm  
    Blogger Philip said...

    See - now I feel an arse

    Sorry about that -- I just assumed you knew David somehow, and were pleased for him. (He's not someone I've ever encountered, but then I don't move particularly widely in fandom circles.)

    If you were thinking of who I think you were thinking of, then I can see how the misconception arose, and it's an entirely understandable misunderstanding. Er, I think.

    7:15 pm  
    Blogger SAF said...

    stewart m: "What did you think of the Satan Pit, Stu?"

    He rated it highly. But he's mellow, you see. :)

    Meanwhile, I for one am sorry not to be residing in an anthology alongside Stuart. But I guess now it's been announced I should get around to announcing it myself sometime.

    7:48 pm  
    Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

    Stewart M.: "What did you think of the Satan Pit, Stu?"

    I thought it was excellent - watched it again last night with tIP and the two parter is the best Who since the series came back.

    Phil:"If you were thinking of who I think you were thinking of, then I can see how the misconception arose, and it's an entirely understandable misunderstanding. Er, I think."

    That's the one, I suspect (if this conversation becomes more eliptical even we'll get lost).

    SAF: "He rated it highly. But he's mellow, you see. :)"

    In spite of my comparative youth :)

    SAF:"Meanwhile, I for one am sorry not to be residing in an anthology alongside Stuart."

    You had a lucky break - ask Nick W. I may have to face the fact that I just can't write, which at least makes me almost unique in Who fandom.

    8:12 am  
    Blogger SAF said...

    stuart: "I may have to face the fact that I just can't write, which at least makes me almost unique in Who fandom."

    But by no means unique in Who authordom. :)

    11:39 am  
    Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

    lol - that's painfully true :)

    Related to that, I'm about half way through 'The Indestructible Man' and it's the first Simon Messingham book I've ever enjoyed.

    I do like to see the regulars genuinely knocked about and damaged, although you do then have the problem of rationalising the fact that such damage is never referred to the in the TV episodes the books fit in alongside. Still, better that than books as ineptly written as 'Island of Death'.

    1:43 pm  

    Post a Comment

    << Home