Wednesday, March 29, 2006

What's a man to do?

April 15th is a fairly big date in my calendar.

Not only is it the day of the Scottish Cup Final, when my beloved Hearts (hopefully) will pick up their second trophy of the past forty years, but it’s also the day on which the new series of Doctor Who starts.

My plan for the day had been based round the idea – if I can’t get tickets for the match – of watching the game on TV in the pub, before seeing the celebratory open topped bus come down Gorgie in maroon splendour. Then a quick nip back home, watch the first episode of Doctor Who, prior to heading back to the pub for several triumphal beers.

All of which sounded fine until yesterday, when I discovered that one of our friends is having a surprise 40th birthday party for her husband on the same evening, to which I have to go, unless I want everyone's suspicions that I'm wholly anti-social confirmed.

Of course, I can still watch the game, but I can hardly roll into the party already drunk, and the timing means that watching new Who isn't possible. So I suppose I'll have to moderate my drinking at the football and get Doctor Who from a bittorrent to watch the next day - neither of which is optimal or in the spirit of the occasion, frankly.

Sometimes it's a terrible burden being mature.
Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger TimeWarden said...

Thanks for the link Stuart. Much appreciated. I do follow these things. Pleased to see it's a later episode so Julie Christie will be in android mode!

You talked about scary moments from childhood... all three of mine are cliffhangers from "Fury from the Deep". Now if only Ian could find this story! I don't suppose it will ever happen though.

Sorry to hear about the wedding being on the same day as "New Earth". Can't you set the timer or catch the BBC3 repeat? Hope you manage to see it somehow. Looking forward to hearing what you think about the new series and if the "1999" episode lived up to your memory of it.

Tim

3:01 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey,
I thought the final was on the 13th?

12:55 am  
Blogger Stuart Douglas said...

Actually, the final is in May, as is the surprise party, so at least new Who is free of distractions.

1:30 pm  
Blogger Divemaster GranDad said...

Being pissed is sometimes the best way to roll into a party...at least then you'll be on the same wavelength as some of the crowd...

1:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home